Monday, May 18, 2015

Tutorial Monday - 3-D Dies and Stamping

Hi folks! Kim here today to share a photo tutorial with you...showing you how to create an amazing 3-D image with dies! (I found this idea on Splitcoaststampers

 

I started by using the largest butterfly from the Monarch Dies set to cut out six butterflies. I used chipboard to cut out the images. Then I cut the wings off of the bodies. (Save one body!)
Using Matte Medium, I glued all six of the wings together. Making a big 'ol stack of chipboard wings.
I then used more Matte Medium and vintage text paper to cover the wings. Once the glue was completely dry, I used the coordinating butterfly image from the Majestic Monarchs stamp set to add the details to the wings. (Be sure to use Archival Ink when stamping!)
Some simple watercoloring added beautiful color to each wing. I also used Gathered Twigs Distress Ink and a blending tool to add ink around the edges of each wing.
Next...get started on the background. I used various pieces of designer paper to cover a white chipboard coaster. (I used Matte Medium as the glue). Once the glue was dried I used Typewriter Text to add just a hint of design on the background.
My last step was to create a landing place for my butterfly. I first used the Decorative Plaques die set to die cut the shape out of chipboard. I mixed Distress Paint with Wendy Vecchi Crackle Paste and then applied the colored paste to the chipboard. Once the paste was dry, I added more Gathered Twigs ink to the entire piece so you could see all those fabulous cracks! Now...assembly!
I stamped and inked one of the butterfly bodies and attached it to the plaque. Once that was dry, I created little hinges to hold up the wings, attached them to the back of the wings, and then attached the other side to the plaque. (And as I'm writing this I realized I should have taken a photo on the hings! Just a little "L" shape made out of paper...) Then the place was attached to the circle with foam tape. The sentiment at the bottom (love acrylic stamps because I can bend them!) is from another stamp set. (How do you like my Kiwi Crate canvas stand? Isn't it cute! I "borrowed" it from my kiddos...perfect for my art! *giggle*)

This is a small 4" round project that I'm probably going to make into a wall hanging (just thread a ribbon through the top) or maybe I'll add it to a larger canvas...humm...decisions, decisions. I had a great time with this technique...think of all of the fun 3-D images you can great with dies!

I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial!!

2 comments:

Cathymac said...

Fabulous tutorial, Kim! Love all the dimension on your butterfly achieved by stacking the dies! I also LOVE the background you created with the scraps of DP and the crackle medium! Gorgeous!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Amazing butterfly Kim! Love the dimensions and the different textures.